Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Feb. 19, 2009: Journal Entry

Charles Lamb 1775-1834
-"prince of the English Essayists" (Horton 554)
-He has a romantic reverence, "nostalgia for the past," "splendid sadness of youth"

Noted Works:
-"Oh China" - "superiority of the old days of youth" and appreciation (Horton 555)

Analysis of Oh China:
This essay talks about having more happiness when you're poor versus having more money and being not as content. The society that we live in exemplifies money as an idol--money equals happiness. According to Lamb, this isn't true. It seems as if Lam and his sister had a much better time while contemplating whether or not to buy something when they were poor rather than just going out and buying it when they had a lot of money. It's possible to find joy in the simplest and dire of circumstances.

Application:
Sometimes I think that more money means more happiness, but money isn't everything. Money can buy things to satisfy the desire for happiness. However, my Salvation was free for me, and that makes me happy beyond measure. I need to remember that God promised in His word that he will supply all my needs.
Horton, Ronald A. British Literature for Christian Schools. Greenville: Bob Jones University Press, 1992.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the post, but let me challenge you to push yourself in your analysis and post your personal critique.

    Don't forget to proofread....

    Side note - I enjoyed looking at your pictures!

    ReplyDelete